Ready or Not, Summer Is Here! Is Your Summer Body Ready?
It’s summertime! Do you have a summer body? It’s time for cookouts, vacations, and pool parties. Did you say “pool parties”? Does that mean I have to wear a swimsuit? But I’m not ready!
You’ve seen the quote. You like it. You share it on all your social media, because it’s freeing…..
How do you get a bikini body? Put a bikini on it.
Woo-hoo! And so we do….. Or do we?
You want to. You wish you could do it. It sounds great. You wish you truly believed it, but….
I’m not ready yet. Maybe next summer. I still have work to do. I don’t have a summer body.
That’s okay for her. It’s not okay for me. I mean, she just has a small roll, I have three small rolls. I have cellulite. I’ve had 3 kids. I don’t look like her!
I love summer…..but I hate summer. I like the safety and security my winter clothes give me.
I love to sit by the pool and visit with my girlfriends, but I hate the voices in my head. The voices that distract me and get me comparing myself to everyone else. In the winter, we can sit in Starbucks and drink our coffee to our heart’s content and visit all day. I don’t worry about what I look like in a sweatshirt.
Sometimes it’s easier when I go on vacation. At least nobody knows me there. I’ll never see those people again.
But here? With my neighbors? My friends? I can’t put on a bathing suit. Not this summer.
They’ll judge me.
Wait, will they?
And so the battle rages.
How to get a bikini body: Put on a bikini.
Everybody likes it. We share it. We applaud the woman who does it. But that’s okay for her, not me.
How can we break out of this mindset? What will it take to believe we have a summer body? How can we quiet the voices and stop the comparison?
- It starts with keeping our eyes on our own paper. We have to commit to doing US. Me doing ME, and you doing YOU. The only thing I can control is what I do with what I’ve been given.
- We have to acknowledge that all girls have her own struggles. (Lysa TerKeurst makes this point in Made to Crave. [amazon affiliate link]) Comparing myself to someone else benefits no one. You don’t know what she’s going through.
How do we get a summer body ready when we have no more time to get ready?
- We own our journey. Own where we are in this process right now.
- Put on our swimsuit, whether it be one-piece or two.
- Play with our kids. (You don’t get that time back.)
- Celebrate summer with our friends and family. It’s the relationships that matter. Not how we look doing life with the ones we love….and who love us….just the way we are.
If you need help overcoming these feelings, and if you’re ready to lay a foundation of health and fitness that will take you through this summer and beyond, reach out to me. I’d love to help you become fit and free. Have you joined my free Facebook group? It’s a safe place to find support and encouragement on your fitness journey.
Let's Get Started!
Add your name and email to receive faith-focused fitness inspiration and motivation to your inbox weekly!