Why Your Healthy Lifestyle Needs to be Built on a Foundation of Faith
Recently I shared an overview of the 4 areas that I believe you need to address to develop a sustainable healthy lifestyle. They are really pillars…those big rocks of what you need to focus on daily for overall health and fitness that lasts.
While you could argue that each pillar is as important as the next (think a square table with 4 legs, you need them all, right?), I will tell you that I believe one of these is far more important than all the rest. And that’s where we’ll camp out for today.
I believe that you have to have a firm foundation of faith for a lasting healthy lifestyle.
What I don’t mean by needing a foundation of faith is this:
- Just pray to lose weight and you’ll lose weight.
- Live by faith and you’ll miraculously get fit and healthy without doing anything.
- It’s necessary to be a member of a certain church to get healthy.
What I mean is this: In order to have a sustainable healthy lifestyle you have to understand that it all starts on the inside. And it begins with the what you believe about yourself, who you are, and how wonderfully and carefully you were created.
Some truths that you need to know when building on a foundation of faith:
You have been fearfully and wonderfully made. (Psalm 139:14)
You are loved. (John 3:16)
Your body is a temple. (1 Corinthians 6:19)
How making faith part of your healthy lifestyle may look:
- Read a daily devotion. You can find a number of books in the library or online. You can sign up for a daily email. There are a number of apps that will pop up on your phone and send you a reminder.
- Listen to music. It could be Christian music. You might choose instrumental music.
- Read scripture. Pull out your Bible. The Word is living and active. You can always find something that will apply to you.
- Do a Bible study. Again, you can find books that will lead you through one. There are a number of studies available online. Maybe you can join a small group at church.
And this doesn’t take a ton of time. Start with 5 minutes. The key is getting centered and grounded and focused. It’s important to realize that there is more to healthy living than what you or anyone sees on the outside.
You are more than a number on a scale or a dress size or a finish time.
A foundation of faith is essential for a sustainable healthy lifestyle. #fitnessismywitness #focus Click To Tweet
This may be a new concept to you, considering faith part of your fitness. It took me a long time to really understand that the Lord is interested in every single detail of my life. I served Him, but when it came to my body image struggles I figured a pill or plan could help with that and when it didn’t I cried all the tears feeling alone and helpless.
He patiently waited for me to realize I needed to lay it at His feet. And then I needed to believe, really believe, what He had to say about me. And most importantly, I had to take my healthy living plan and put it in perspective, no longer giving it all of my attention and begin to wholly focus on Him.
I began to find freedom. I began to believe what He said about me. And I learned how to live a healthy lifestyle that was sustainable and got me results. Not some dramatic before and after picture but freedom and peace.
Can I encourage you to address this very important part of your healthy living plan today? Consider what I’ve written and ask yourself if you’re putting too much emphasis on the outward appearance and not addressing the condition of your heart. Maybe it’s time to believe what He has said about you. Do you need to open your heart to His love and forgiveness in your life?