Revisiting 2016 Goals and Gearing Up for the Final Push
Did you set any goals for 2016? Here we are at the last quarter of the year. How are you doing? Have you given up on, or maybe even forgotten, what your goals were for the year?
The last quarter of the year can get tough. It’s a busy time. There are so many activities and holidays. Weather changes. If you’re looking at fitness goals, you might think that it’s no use to start now, because there are too many parties and sweets coming our way. You won’t be able to say no to the extra meals and goodies. You may think the weather will impact your ability to get outside and move, so why try to stay active? If you’re in business, you may think that no one is spending money on your products right now. They’re too busy buying Christmas presents for everyone else.
But I would say that this is the time to really make a difference. It’s a time to focus in even more on your health and fitness. It’s a time to keep the momentum going with your business. If you just sign off for this quarter that is a lot of time wasted. You don’t want to get to January in the hole or with an extra 10 pounds to lose.Review your goals and get ready for the final push. #runmyrace Click To Tweet
I went back to the goals I shared right here in this space at the beginning of the year. I thought I’d take a little inventory and let you know how I’m doing. I can tell you right now I had not planned on this knee injury, so that’s going to have some impact on my goals. But here we go…..
Plans for 2016:
- Hoosier Half Marathon – April 9, 2016 – Completed
- 500 Festival Mini Marathon – May 7, 2016 – Completed
- Michelob Ultra Half Marathon, Chicago – May 22, 2016 – This is with Team Momentum. It’s a fundraiser for the MDA Foundation. In all my distance running, I’ve never run for a cause. I’m looking forward to shifting my focus for this event – Completed
- Monumental Half Marathon – November 5, 2016 – Signed up but not very optimistic about this. Might have to switch to 5K
- Santa Hustle Half Marathon – December 2016 – Still signed up and cautiously optimistic
- Bike outside at least once each month – Biking outside A TON every month!
- Short intense strength sessions and get stronger – Doing this
- Yoga 2-3 times per week – Doing this
- Have my favorite meal of the day every day this year – I’ve shifted my nutrition due to some stomach issues. Listening to my body and being a good detective
- Grow my online reach and empower women to be fit and free – Finishing up with some awesome ladies for September and getting ready to start the October coaching group. I love coaching women!
- #runmyrace – Everyday!
- Keep my eyes on my own paper – It’s a practice, but I’m committed to it
- Keep a running journal – Well, it’s become more of a workout journal, but yes I’m tracking my daily workouts and how I’m feeling. It’s fun!
Having shared all of this, I must admit, I’m not a huge fan of setting goals, especially as it relates to numbers. I know myself, and I can get too caught up in all that and only think of the number or end result and not the process. My knee injury has really tested me in this area. I’ve had to make adjustments. My plan was to get my half marathon back under 2 hours by doing extra speed training this summer. Well, that certainly didn’t happen. I hadn’t figured in all the cycling, so I didn’t even set goals as it related to cycling. But that’s okay.
The list above gives me some focus for my year. I like to look at it as just staying organized. I feel the same with goals as I do with the way you eat. I want to eat on Saturday the same way I eat on Monday. Meaning, I don’t white knuckle my way through the week and then free-for-all on the weekend. Just the same, I want to live in October and November the way I’ll live in January. I don’t want to lose momentum or commitment to my intentions and focus and then feel like I need to do this huge revamp of my life in January.
So here we go into the final quarter of 2016. Are you ready? If you’re not so sure, reach out to me. I’m here to help. I have a coaching group starting October 1st. The gals who are signed up are ready to learn how to manage the sweet tooth and continue on the journey of faith and fitness. Will you join us?